Community Buildings – Safeguarding
Working with village and community halls to improve Safeguarding in rural areas
Action with Communities in Rural England (ACRE) is calling on England’s 10,000 village halls to make sure policies and procedures are in place to keep everyone safe.
As a Member of ACRE Network - England’s largest rural grouping of community support agencies – ACT is raising awareness of the measures that can be taken by halls across Cumbria to protect individuals from harm, and supporting volunteer hall committees to ensure they have the knowledge and confidence to operate in a safe and welcoming manner for all who use their facility.
We want volunteers managing village halls to understand they have an important part to play in creating safe spaces for members of their community, especially when it comes to protecting younger or more vulnerable rural people. Everyone has a responsibility to look out for others, know where to find help and to have Safeguarding policies and procedures in place to support this.
Contact us at ACT for the ACRE Village Halls Safeguarding information sheet and model Safeguarding Policy for your hall.
- Ann Craft Trust Safeguarding guidance: www.anncrafttrust.org/resources
- Ann Craft Trust Safeguarding Adults Week 2022: www.anncrafttrust.org/events/safeguarding-adults-week-2022
- NCVO Safeguarding information: knowhow.ncvo.org.uk/safeguarding
- NSPCC Safeguarding Children information: learning.nspcc.org.uk/safeguarding-child-protection/voluntary-community-groups
- NSPCC Safeguarding examples – hiring out space learning.nspcc.org.uk/safeguarding-child-protection/safeguarding-examples-issues-concerns
- Charity Commission guidance for Trustees: www.gov.uk/guidance/safeguarding-duties-for-charity-trustees
- Handling safeguarding allegations in a charity www.safeguarding.culture.gov.uk
- Care and Support statutory guidance – Safeguarding (definitions and responsibilities) www.gov.uk/government/publications/care-act-statutory-guidance/care-and-support-statutory-guidance#safeguarding-1
- YouTube Presentation from our ACRE Network colleagues at Community Action Northumberland: Safeguarding Training for Volunteers
Reporting a Safeguarding Concern in Cumbria
- Concern about a Child? Cumbria Safeguarding Hub - Tel: 0333 240 1727
- Concern about an Adult? Adult Social Care district contacts: www.cumbria.gov.uk/healthsocialcare/ccc/contact.asp
- Cumbria Safeguarding Children Partnership www.cumbriasafeguardingchildren.co.uk/
- Cumbria Safeguarding Adults Board www.cumbriasab.org.uk/
A recent national survey conducted by ACRE showed that village halls are a vital asset for many rural communities. 60% of halls provide the only meeting space in the local area, whilst 80% of respondents knew someone whose lives had changed for the better as a result of joining activities at their local hall.
Halls can continue to improve lives through adopting effective safeguarding practices and policies, to ensure that everyone is protected in rural areas.
This work is funded by the National Lottery Community Fund.