Community Buildings, Village Halls and other assets owned by the community, such as playing fields and other open spaces, are at the very heart of villages and neighbourhoods. ACT supports the volunteers who manage these facilities through the Community Buildings Service.
For coronavirus briefings, please see the coronavirus page.
ACT's Community Buildings Service offers the following throughout Cumbria:
- Telephone/Email support from an ACT Officer
- Free ACT guidance sheets, case studies and other resources
- Free specialist national ACRE Village Hall Publications Order Form updated 2019 04 16 (on request only)
- Free Community Buildings Events and Workshops
- Free entry on the Cumbria Community Buildings Directory
- Free ACT Gazette newsletter with community buildings news
- A voice for issues affecting community buildings and village halls at a national level, via Action with Communities in Rural England (ACRE)
- Bespoke support for individual groups at £40 per hour - additional free support may also be available for some community buildings and village halls if ACT has funding to work in your area, contact us for details.
We can help you think about the needs of your local community and to consider ways in which the assets you already manage: village halls, play areas, open spaces etc. might be used to meet those needs. For example, some communities have started community cafes or ‘Community Exchanges' using their village hall as a social hub where local people can access a variety of services as well as enjoying meeting one another.
Community Buildings Directory
Our Community Buildings Directory provides information on village halls and community buildings in Cumbria - useful for anyone looking for a venue, and a great opportunity for halls to promote what they have to offer. Please contact us if your community building’s details are missing, or need to be updated.
Hallmark Quality Standard for Halls
Hallmark is a nationally recognised award, promoting good management and practice by Community Building Management Committees. Halls with Hallmark can benefit from insurance discounts and gain recognition on funding applications as the award acts as evidence of the high standard of the committee members and the merit of the hall. See our page on Hallmark.